Wednesday, April 22, 2009

'Mother It Up'

Living in a perpetually recession-and-global-warming-obsessed world, this year’s Earth Day had the expected bombardment of ‘Go Green’ advertisements and ‘Earth-Friendly Fashion’ newsletters crowding my inbox. While I do commend my boss and coworkers’ efforts to ration our use of paper and lighting in the office, I do not see myself sporting any of the eco-masks that were being passed around.

Plus, I don’t think that I usually expose myself to harmful fumes. I don’t even own a moped…

As for talk of eco-sustainable initiatives and ‘Green jobs – Hope or Hype,’ I’ll save it for the other 364 days of the year.

But I will take my inspiration from Mother Earth and the sense of rebirth that follows spring’s first budding flowers. From frilly chiffon dresses to ornate glass tumblers, nature’s green thumb is cropping up everywhere:

1. Thakoon has a lovely floral dress for $1,255. Zac Posen has a similar ruffled number for $2,400. And model Theodora Richards and actress Rachel Weisz have been sighted wearing mini and tulip-skirted versions by TopShop and Phillip Lim in May’s issue of Vogue. Finding a print with microscopic blossom flowers is key. To the bottom, a reversible silk Rag & Bone tank from Shopbop.


2. Because I drink at least two cups of tea a day, Pier 1 Imports has a ceramic tea set painted with a delicate floral design. Inexpensive (on sale $24) and perfect for entertaining guests.

3. A mixture of mother-of-pearl, wood and pearl beading, this flower beaded ring by Miriam Haskell ($280) for Vivre.com is a definite conversation starter.


In my continuing promise to Mother Earth, I vow to start setting up fresh flowers and plants around the house. There is nothing like a growing pot of lavender flowers or even some aloe to both freshen up a room and serve medicinal purposes. Why thank you Mother.

-S. Gonzalez

*Photos courtesy of Shopbop, Pier 1 Imports and Vivre.com

No comments:

Post a Comment