Monday, July 20, 2009

'Easy, Breezy, Beautiful Cover-Up'

Tanning lotion? Check. Straw-brim hat? Check. Caftan, tunic, maxi dress, robe and sarong? All check.

With a variety of cover-ups in punchy colors and flattering shapes dominating the swimwear market, the bikini is at the bottom of everyone’s vacation packing list.

But cover-ups are. Why?

Maybe because this season’s swimwear cover-ups can be sexy, yet comfortable – sheer, yet versatile. The bathing suit can stay on while you explore the beach resort, dine with friends at a seaside cafĂ©, or venture round the cruise ship.

An oversized T-shirt and bath towel do not have that same kind of staying power.

You can find cover-ups in fabrics that range from a delicate silk or chiffon to a lasting jersey or crocheted cotton. The purpose of the cover-up is to not only compliment the color and cut of the suit, but to play up the little bit of bathing suit showing underneath.

A frilly cover-up like this one from Aspara resembles one of my own favorites, which I bought from a Zara during a trip to Toulouse, France. The silk top’s blue paisley print against a sheer white background instantly drew my attention. The blouse had balloon sleeves, grazing my wrists in a torrent of ruffles. I typically stay away from most ruffled numbers, but after trying it on I had to have it.

Another kimono-style cover-up finds its way into my luggage whenever I make my yearly pit stop to Miami’s South Beach. The draping of the Japanese-inspired dress creates long, elegant lines along the body. Similar to LaBlanca’s pink version, my white dress molded perfectly to my body. Yet, it was far too transparent to wear casually. But when worn over a bikini at the beach, I no longer felt self-conscious.

The maxi dress in solid or prints is this summer’s biggest hit. The dress is flattering on most shapes, with the only longstanding question being whether you prefer spaghetti strap, halter, or cross-back. No need to worry about finding the perfect strapless bra here. Although, I do suggest that if you’re petite: Stay away from heavy fabrics and opt for a sheer dress like this one at Tucker Paisley.

You’ll find that with so many swimwear options, packing for summer vacation was never such a breeze.

-S. Gonzalez

*Photos courtesy of wwd.com

No comments:

Post a Comment