Wednesday, September 30, 2009

'Not Falling For It'


Okay, I hate to admit that I’m in fall denial. Even as I sit here, shivering from lack of heat in this Syracuse apartment, I am staring at my tan leather boots with mild disdain.


Sure, I managed to pack most of my summer clothes away weeks ago. But the black suede sandals came along for the four-hour ride to visit friends in upstate New York, with the promise of warmer times ahead.


Fat chance. I imagine that even when I do return to New York City at the end of this week, it will be to start shopping for chunky knits, luxe wool coats and winter accessories.


For some reason, the idea is hard to swallow. I think I still might need some cheering up.


Perhaps a few fall-friendly additions to my home décor will do the trick:

1. The seasonal wreath and autumnal plants in golds, reds, browns and oranges will set the fall tone if placed at the door and to the entrance of the home. Making a first impression with guests, the fall foliage is another way to draw nature indoors – since more time will be spent hibernating.


2. Accessories like paintings, clocks, plates and candles are subtle, but still have the capability of transforming a fireplace or counter.

3. With the start of the holidays approaching in less than two months (can you imagine!), the focal point of any home will likely be with friends and family in the dining room. Changing everything from the tablecloths and napkin rings to the fruit on the table signals the start of much hearty, holiday eating and memories with those that matter the most.


4. Just like any change in season triggers our sense of sight, so it must awaken my sense of smell. With the plants already in place, potpourri is the best way to get the house far from ‘ocean mist’ to ‘autumn melody’ in no time flat. I like to place potpourri in the expected places (the bathroom, foyer and living room), but I think I will try some unexpected places (the closet and drawers).


It doesn’t take much for fall to win me over.


-S. Gonzalez


*Photos courtesy of interiordec.about.com; www.bhg.com; decoratorshome.blogspot.com


No comments:

Post a Comment