Sunday, November 22, 2009

'La Femme Fete'


Vintage clothing and jewelry, a fashion show, complimentary cocktails and gourmet cupcakes – my friends know how to kick off holiday shopping in style.

This past Saturday I was invited by friend and fashion-colleague-of-sorts Sammy Davis (Life and Style Weekly alum that we are) to Femme Fête – a night of fashion revelry and a formal introduction to the women of Sammy Davis Vintage, Happy Hill Vintage and Kim Last Designs.

Armed with my Prada shoes, and my best friend Sara with her Chloe bag, we clicked our way down the two blocks to the Femme Fête, not quite knowing what to expect.

What we found on the fifth floor of the 36th Street building were rows of like-minded attendees, racks of clothes and booths with must-have earrings, necklaces, rings, handkerchiefs and coin purses.

Sammy Davis Vintage hats and accessories

I indulged in some of the bite-sized cupcakes first, which were absolute pumpkin-flavored-heaven, and sipped my “eau de VeeV” before thumbing through the racks of Sammy Davis Vintage clothes. Within minutes, Sara and I were swooning over a gray faux fur mink coat and olive pill box hat with veil.

Having partnered with Sammy on a past photo shoot, I was more than aware of her affordable price range.

“100 dollars,” Sara said out loud as she inspected the wool coat, “Oh, my gosh. That’s nothing!”

I waved her over to the stand with the 1980s gold chain necklaces and cuff earrings: “$35, $40, $25…” Each piece was priced well under $50.

Vintage Jewelry selection from Happy Hill Vintage

We then stood by a suitcase in a corner that was spilling with straw brim hats, some more pill box hats and raffia bags. Our trying on was cut short by Sammy’s voice, rising above the DJ’s music spinning.

One by one, a handful of models walked out in pieces from the collections of the Femme Fête women: a gold sequin dress with an asymmetrical fringe hem and cap sleeves; an ivory boyfriend blazer and pink wrap-around dress; my best friend’s favorite fur coat in a brown variation, thrown over a teal dress.


Gold sequin dress with fringe hemline and cap sleeves

Multicolored sequin shift dress

Faux fur coat with teal dress

Pink boyfriend blazer worn as dress with turquoise Kim Last necklace

White boyfriend blazer over hot pink wrap dress

Sequin top worn over black pants

Sara and I left the party, the two of us already talking about ordering some of those gourmet cupcakes for her apartment warming party and me, making a mental wish list of what Sammy Davis Vintage I want for Christmas.

-S. Gonzalez

No comments:

Post a Comment