Wednesday, December 30, 2009

'Let's Get this Party Started'


It is perhaps the one rare occasion throughout the year when our hearts and minds are focus on the past, present and future all at once.

The New Year.

This year, I will be saying goodbye to 2009 and New York City’s iconic Tavern on the Green at the restaurant’s farewell party. The Central Park landmark since 1939, known for its blowout parties and the annual marathoners’ pasta fest, will close its doors January 1 – a victim of the financial crisis and high-priced operating expenses.

It will be my first time at the famed restaurant, with its wonderland décor that includes 45 chandeliers of glass and stained-glass, 600,000 tree lights and topiary animals in its gardens, etched mirrors, and copper and gold-leaf weathervanes.

It once was a place frequented by celebrities like Grace Kelly and John Lennon and where former owner Warner LeRoy would open champagne bottles with the swing of a sword.

Kicking the New Year with the best that my city has to offer is the precedent I’d like to set for the coming year. And if that precedent is to be made in style, my New Year’s outfit better be a show-stopper.

Dramatic textures, shimmering embellishments and sumptuous fabrics guarantee that my New Year’s ensemble will deserve nothing less than the spotlight. Here’s my ultimate party wardrobe:

Fancy Feet

I like to party with the best – that includes my shoes too. Nothing comes close to the quality and craftsmanship of a Prada shoe. This suede bootie in (sold out) has a slightly pointed toe, but with its black suede straps and heel adds a cool contemporary spin to a classic silhouette.

Bare It All

This black BCBG (on sale now) with an overlay of tulle and asymmetric shoulder shows the right amount of skin. No need to wear a statement necklace because this neckline says it all. The zip closure on the side ensures a snug fit and the strap is adjustable. I plan to pair this top with a banded mini skirt, but on another occasion can be worn with leggings or even jeans. And I do admire the ruching of tulle along the bottom, which accentuates the waistline.

Rock N’ Roller

I don’t need arm candy; I need an accessory that will pack a punch. This Rebecca Minkoff 3-zip clutch (sold out in yellow) with its exotic leather print and leather fringe is sure to infuse a bit of rocker glam to a rather simple, yet stylish party outfit. Its bright yellow shade will break up the black and gray, bringing some much-needed color and attention to my New Year’s look.


Best Wishes for a Happy New Year!

-S. Gonzalez

*Photo courtesy of annaginzburg.com; yoox.com; BCBG and handbagsdir.com

No comments:

Post a Comment