Thursday, March 18, 2010

'New House Rules: Color!'

I’m not going to lie.

There’s a fair amount of black in my wardrobe: the boyfriend blazers, skinny jeans, open-toe pumps, leggings, turtlenecks, cardigans and booties. And there’s a fair amount of black in my bedroom décor too: the wrought iron bed, the embroidered valence on my curtains, the futon, the photo frames and appliances.

One would think that I have this obsession with black, which I don’t. Black is the easiest color option whether in wardrobe or décor to find and to pair with anything.

But all this black is making me depressed.

Let’s start with the décor. Adding color to unexpected places or furnishings will create contrast, depth and an instant visual appeal to what might have felt like a funeral parlor before.

Bold furniture and pillows instantly brighten up this living room

1. Go wild with the furniture


Remember that all-black futon I just described in my master bedroom? I suggest to keep the futon frame intact and replace the black cushions for some fuchsia ones. If this seems too extreme, a set of bright pillows strike a nice compromise.


The key, in this case, is to keep the rest of the color scheme in a neutral palette. Make sure that the eye-catching color works well with the existing hues.


Bright pillows do the trick

2. Paint by number


Ever noticed those white, dining room chairs you bought years ago at a flea market? Or do you ever stop and notice your bookshelf on that far wall, the one that houses your favorite short stories and novels? My guess is that you haven’t, the same way I have ignored all the functional (and bland) furniture in my house.


Ever fancy a red bookshelf?


A quick way to give instant pep to a dining room area or library nook is to take a chair, bookshelf, stepping stool, and paint it in one bold color. If you have chosen to paint a dining room chair, try painting one chair in the bold shade and leaving the others neutral. For a more unified look, paint all the chairs in the same hue. Tip: A paint spectrum serves as a good color guide.


Let this dining room set inspire you

For more color tips, come back for my next post.

-S. Gonzalez

*Photos courtesy of apartmenttherapy.com; farm3.static.flickr.com; www.furniturestoreblog.com; tudorks.file.wordpress.com

No comments:

Post a Comment