Saturday, May 29, 2010

'Packing It All In'


The Jersey Shore

The ritual sounding of honking trucks and cars along Hudson Street, all headed to the Holland Tunnel and as far away from New York City as we know it, began two hours earlier than expected yesterday.

This phenomenon could only mean one thing: the start of Memorial Day weekend.

From the time that I returned to the office post-lunch break and then headed home, each constant honk that could be heard outside my office windows made me think, “What was I going to pack to the shore?”

This Sunday, I will be headed to Long Branch in New Jersey for a beach wedding of one of my closest friends. From slinky bandeau bikinis to ripped denim shorts, here’s what I plan to pack in my suitcase to celebrate the weekend:

· Bandeau bikinis are the hottest commodity on the beach right now. To be worn with straps or not, bandeau bikinis are unlike triangle top bikinis because they can be worn by all bust sizes.



The monokini

· While I do not own one yet, monokinis are also on the rise as the sexiest version of a one piece. There are far more styles this season than the last, providing far more options for all body types to have their own version of the monokini. At Victoria’s Secret there’s the possibility of a wireless pushup monokini, a leopard wrap monokini, or even a tye-dye monokini.

· No need for designer shorts here. Comfort is everything at the beach. My $30 American Outfitters denim shorts (now buy one pair get the second 50% off) have survived endless summer days, vacations to Miami (and very soon my vacation to France), proving to be one of the best summer investments I’ve ever made.


Nicole Miller full-length, silk coral gown

· My silk coral Nicole Miller gown will be my gown of choice for the beach wedding ceremony of my once freshman college roommate and her fiancĂ©e (whom she met in college). With the sureness of wind at the beach, I ruled out a short dress that was privy to baring too much to the wedding party.


Diane Von Furstenberg jelly sandals

· Remember when jelly sandals were all the rage? I was probably 9 years old, but now they’re back. Designers like Givenchy (a couple seasons past), Diane Von Furstenberg and Vera Wang have their own chic version of the jelly sandal. The sandals are not only inexpensive, but because of its material can also withstand sand and water.

Wishing you lots of sun and this Memorial Day!

-S. Gonzalez

*Photo courtesy of www.photobucket.com; Victoria's Secret; Macy's; shopbop.com

No comments:

Post a Comment