Monday, June 28, 2010

'By Invite Only'

Between traveling to Europe for vacation and catching up with business, it’s been a constant hustle and bustle since the start of this past month. Being this my first weekend back, I wanted nothing more than to spend time at home.

For a guarantee of comfort and relaxation with a few of my closest friends, I turn to the following:

Jute cube footrest, bottom right

Sure it’s made from hand-braided jute and looks more like a square basket than a foot rest, but this jute cube ($89) is my favorite living room footrest. This low-lying cube doubles as a coffee table and even as an extra seat when there’s a lack of seating to go around. The woven texture re-energizes the wooden accents and furnishings, creating a sense of warmth.

Lean back and relax thanks to pillows that come in splashes of color and a variety of prints. From watercolor painted pillows in raspberry shades to Byzantine floral patterns, there is a pillow for everyone in my house. This Eliz flower pillow ($19.99 for both) comes in an 18” square size with large flowers in clever color combinations like olive and blue, and yellow and sherbet.

Art Glass wine stoppers

Nothing like a bottle of wine to get the conversation flowing and raise our spirits after a long work week. Once I’m done pouring glasses of Cabernet Sauvignon and Bordeaux into my friends' large wine glasses, I like to top off each bottle with one of my own wine stoppers. Who wants dull cork when there are lovely art class wine stoppers on hand? These tear-drop shaped stoppers ($14.99) are a swirl of color, made entirely by hand from skilled artisans.


Lighting is key. No one wants a guest banging into a floor lamp conveniently located next to a conversation spot. Place the lamps close to the wall and remove table lamps if necessary. A modern table lamp like this one ($95.40) has a sleek design: a white square lampshade and a series of dark walnut circles that form part of the base. You won’t have to worry about this lamp being a get-together casualty with its resilient 10.5 pound weight.

Choosing the right accessories: plush furniture, smart lighting, muted walls and floor coverings create an inviting space for me and a few of my closest friends to unwind.

-S. Gonzalez

*Photos courtesy of westelm.com; decorinnovation.com; lampusa.com

No comments:

Post a Comment