Monday, November 29, 2010

'Bring on Cyber Monday'

Black Friday shoppers head for electronics

If you thought Black Friday offered some good deals, then think again. Cyber Monday – without the need to wake up early or stand outside in the blistering cold for a decent discount – is here.

So don’t put your credit card away just yet. Here’s a list of some of current promotions going on today:

Saks Fifth Avenue with up to 40% Online Only

Intermix with 15% Off Every Full Price Item

Ssense.com with 30% Off Items Site-wide

Décor Innovation with 25% off Solid Blackout Curtains; 20% Curtain Rods and Pinstripe Curtains

yoox.com with 40% off and Free Shipping

Bloomingdales with 30-40% Select Merchandise

While Black Friday encouraged shoppers to wake up early and weather the cold so they can gain entry to their favorite shops, Cyber Monday could outperform Black Friday this year with all of its online sales. Critics predict sales will pass $900 million today, hitting an all-time record.

As we have seen with my list above, brick-and-mortar retailers are using their online stores to draw in shoppers who might have skipped Black Friday with exclusive online deals. While spending on Black Friday was definitely an improvement from last year, this year's event was only a 6% increase from 2009.

Personally, I already have my eye on a few items for myself and a dozen or so ideas for my family. And with my family having expanded dramatically this year (newborns and significant family friends), it’s imperative that I get the holiday shopping finished early.


Give the gift of sisterly love with this floral print pillow

Keeping in line with my sister’s all-white studio decorating scheme, a set of floral pillows in a cool palette of black, white and gray adds a sophisticated pop to her couch or bed.


Pour la Victoire oxfords on sale

Because restocking on wardrobe staples never goes out of style, my Cyber Monday buys include a pair of Pour la Victoire oxfords and tapered wool pants by Vivienne Tam on yoox.com. No where else would I find a better deal.

For my cousin who is looking to replace the drapes in her living room, I've picked out a set of crushed voile curtains in a neutral white and a set of satin stripe curtains in a burgundy. My hope is that the rich burgundy color will accent the warm brown colors of the leather couches and flooring.

I'm spending my Cyber Monday wisely. How about you?

-S. Gonzalez

*Photo courtesy of etiole.com; decorinnovation.com; yoox.com

No comments:

Post a Comment