Thursday, February 3, 2011

'Spring Pick-Me Up'

Chase those winter blues away by welcoming an early spring in your decor

Punxsutawny Phil may have predicted an early spring this year on Groundhog’s Day, but I’d be hard-pressed to find a believer on the East Coast.

Wintry mixes of ice and rain, gray skies and the usual cold blasts of wind – we’ve seen it all and been left wondering, “When is it going to end?” I’m already in desperate need of retail therapy.

The pick-me-up is necessary on all fronts: For my wardrobe, I would like a floral print skirt that can go from espresso at the office to cocktails at the bar. At home, I would like to introduce new prints and accents to my walls and furnishings in the spirit of the new season.

Starting with my bedroom, I hope to:

Purchase some unique engraved prints or paintings to hang on my wall. No copies of Van Gogh’s Starry Night, please. Either in visiting local art galleries and art schools (art instructors are typically working artists in their own rite), I might be able to snag some one-of-a-kind pieces. Plus, contributing to the arts is always to be commended.

Upholstered bench strikes contrast with bedding

I have long been in need of an upholstered bench to sit in front of my bed. Most of the apparel and books/important papers end up on my bed or futon nearby. The contrasting fabric on the bench would perk up the look of my quilted duvet cover and throw pillows.

Do not underestimate the power of a pillow in a fresh spring color decorated with a flourish of swirly floral prints. Or it could be as easy as using spring-friendly fabrics, like linen pillows. It’s an instant, inexpensive way to brighten up your bedspread and chaise. I like to do a fair amount of mismatching of pillows to bring even more contrast to the room.

Summon spring with linen print pillows

Double rods on the windows will allow me to drape sheer draperies over my existing blackout curtains. I often look to the fabric store to procure these draperies since it will be used only as an accent piece. I prefer to have them cut at the same length or longer than my hanging curtains, so they gather on the floor.

Maybe all my spring shopping and decorating will help Punxsutawny Phil’s prediction hold true.

-S. Gonzalez

*Photos courtesy of redbookmag.com; potterybarn.com

No comments:

Post a Comment